My boss's boss's boss offered me a special assignment in Xiamen, China for the second half of 2008. I took it and now here I am.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shoes

In our plant, special shoes are required whenever walking in certain areas of production, so Bourns provides these special shoes to all the employees.

Unfortunately for me, all of the employees have smaller feet than I do… much, much smaller feet. My HR lady came in and gave me a pair of size 265 ugly, white Ked-like deck shoes and told me to try them on. I looked at the them and with a little chuckle said, “Those are too small.”

Her response? “No, no. These are very big.” As none of you have met Sunny, the HR lady, let me just say, that even with her high heels on, the top of her head is still well below my shoulders. That being said, you can imagine that her idea of “very big” shoes is slightly different than my idea of very big shoes.

So I tried on the size 265s and yeah, they were most definitely too small. As hard as I tried, as much as I curled my toes, I couldn’t even get my whole foot inside.

Anyway, I continued on through my day, wearing my comfy size 12 Munros, leaving the size 265 keds under my desk and taking the long way to get everywhere so I didn’t have to walk through the clean area.

After lunch, I got back to my desk and found on my chair, a pair of size 270 keds and a note. So while nodding my heading side to side and with another chuckle, I tried on the “the more biggest shoes.”

Needless to say, they were still too small. On the upside, if I squish my toes up in the end and fold down the backs, I can wear them like slips on. They are definitely not what I would call comfortable with the back ridge of the shoe hitting about ½ an inch from the end of my heel, but they work… or I make them work. Although, I will admit, I still wear my comfy shoes and take the long way whenever possible.



No comments: